I mentioned that I wanted to discuss some of the PWA Slalom racing. I wanted to go through the final race at Marignane where Pierre Mortefon sailed away from Antoin because of a better choice of equipment for the conditions.
Well, all of that has been eclipsed by the current racing in Fuerteventura.
The heat videos from this event contain the best slalom racing I have ever seen. Please go to the PWA site and watch them. Anyone interested in slalom racing needs to watch every heat for a free master-class.
Why is this racing on such a stratospheric level and so enjoyable for spectators? Here are the factors as I see them:
- The organised winter training has produced massive benefits for the athletes. The skill levels of the fleet have ramped up making everyone a contender.
- Coverage of the event is fantastic. Drones are being deployed so effectively for us to see every move and Ben Proffitt is absolutely the right person to be commentating.
- The wind played along in Fuerte this year. The water state is not good however and this makes the speeds being achieved by Antoine, Pierre and Matteo almost unbelievable.
- Current racing equipment has been engineered to levels which make these feats possible.
- The almost super-human windsurfing abilities of the top three racers
We are lucky to be able to witness events such as this.